Taste of Shetland Festival 2019
The Taste of Shetland Festival is the highlight of Shetland’s ‘foodie’ calendar. It brings together live entertainment and cooking inspiration with some of the best food and drink Shetland has to offer.
The halls that are holding the competitions are:
- Whalsay Symbister Hall - 5th October
- Vidlin Hall - 19th October
- Unst Baltasound Hall - 26th October
- Skeld Hall - 2nd November
- Bigton- 9th November
- Carnegie - 10th November
- FINAL - Islesburgh Hall
- Muckle Bites - 23rd November
- Peerie Bites - 24th November
HOW TO ENTER:
- MUCKLE BITES:
- This competition is open to anyone aged 18 and over. Participants can apply to one Hall only - probably their nearest. Applicants select and prepare an interesting 2-course meal of their choice - it can be a starter and main course or a main course and dessert. In addition, they should add a short paragraph explaining the provenance of the main ingredients. They should be able to complete this in 30-35 minutes. We are not looking for haute cuisine - just good imaginative home cooking. In some cases, and after discussion - it will be fine to have a ‘here’s one I made earlier’. They should cook for 1- 2 people. Entries should be sent to Shetlandfoodanddrink@gmail.com.
- PEERIE BITES:
- The competition is in two parts: Junior - for bairns currently of primary school age - and senior - for those of secondary school age. All bairns are very welcome to apply. Applicants have to plan and make ONE savoury dish using Shetland produce for the key item. There are two options, they can submit a very short film clip - no more than 2 minutes - on a phone where they show what they are doing and why or they can simply send their entries to Shetlandfoodanddrink@gmail.com
2 applicants will be selected from each category (2 adults, 2 senior and 2 junior) to cook at each of the 6 different venues. 1 finalist from each category will go through to the final in Islesburgh in November. More details will be available to each applicant that is selected nearer the time.