INDIVIDUAL HIRE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Contract formation
- These Terms and Conditions apply to all hires. In these terms, “we” “our” and “us” means Taste of Shetland Ltd and “you” and “yours” means the hirer of the vehicle.
- Your signature of the Agreement will form a legally binding contract between you and us and will govern your use of the Vehicle during the Hire Period. These terms will also apply to any named driver of the Vehicle.
- By entering into the Agreement, you confirm that you are legally entitled to enter into the Agreement and that you are prepared to accept responsibility for the Vehicle, the Charges and any additional costs associated with or arising from your use of the Vehicle.
- No variation to these Terms and Conditions will be binding unless agreed in writing between our authorised representatives and you.
- Our employees or agents are not authorised to make any representations concerning the lease unless confirmed by us in writing. In entering into the Agreement, you acknowledge that you have not relied on any such representations, which are not confirmed in writing, but nothing in these Terms affect the liability of either party for fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Any typographical, clerical, or other error or omission in any sales literature, quotation, price list, acceptance of offer, invoice or other document or information issued by us will be subject to correction without any liability on our part.
In this Agreement the following terms will have the meanings hereby respectively assigned to them:
“Agreement” The Hire Agreement together with these Terms and Conditions and where applicable any agreement relating to the payment of Charges agreed in writing by us or a finance company, which together will constitute the Agreement between the parties.
“Driver” The Hirer and any driver approved by us to drive the Vehicle.
“Hire Agreement” The document addressed to you from us which confirms to you, the details of the Vehicle(s), Rental Period, Rental Charges, and such other information as we may provide to you in relation to the rental of the Vehicle(s).
“Rental Period” The period from the date and time stated overleaf until the vehicle is off hire in accordance with conditions agreed.
“Rental Charges” The hire charges for the Rental Period calculated in accordance with our current tariff, being the rate shown overleaf, confirmed in an email or through our website or such other rate agreed between the parties in writing.
“Vehicle” The vehicle described on the Hire Agreement, in any e-mail or through our website or a similar vehicle which we substitute for the one identified, or any replacement vehicle under this Agreement together with the spare wheel, tools and other accessories supplied with the Vehicle.
VMS (Vehicle Hire) Ltd, is a company incorporated in England Wales with registration number 10770412 whose registered office is
3. Verifying your identity and age restrictions
- Before we can let you hire a Vehicle from us, we will require original photographic ID (ie., driving licence or passport) for yourself and any named Driver, proof of home address and, in each instance, a DVLA validation Code (UK Drivers only, Non-UK drivers please see 3.4 below). A code is valid for up to 21 days and can be obtained by visiting: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
- We will:
- verify ID and driving history through DVLA using the code that you provide; and
- verify identity and details provided by you, by using a third-party verification system;
- We may require further ID from you in respect of yourself and of any named Driver, in the form of a utility bill or bank statement (or other document which we have agreed in writing to accept) that shows your home address that is less than 3 months old on the date you pick up the Vehicle from us. You should bring the additional documentation with you when collecting the Vehicle, in case we require further evidence. Failure to have the correct documentation may prevent you from collecting the Vehicle, and you may still remain liable for the Rental Charges from the agreed time for collection.
- For non-UK citizens, when you collect your Vehicle, in addition to the methods of verification referred to above, we may ask to see additional proof of your name and home address. You should contact us in advance of collection to ascertain what further documentation and information, if any, is required.
- Hirer and Drivers should be 25 years and over to drive a Vehicle. We may apply additional License endorsement and age restrictions for some or all of our vehicles. It is your responsibility to ensure that you can meet such requirements prior to entering into the Agreement.
4. Hirer’s responsibility
- Only those who are named Drivers may tow the Vehicle.
- During the Rental Period, it is your responsibility to:
- check daily, lights, wheel nuts, brake fluid level and condition of tyres, supply correct registration plate, ensure trailer is locked and secure whilst unattended.
- keep the Vehicle and its accessories in its possession and free from legal process or lien and when not in use adequately protected and secured; and
- at our reasonable request, make the Vehicle available for inspection, service, or repair work.
If you are in breach of conditions 4.1 or 4.2, then you will indemnify us against all loss, liability or damage whatsoever thereby arising.
6. Your obligations:
- ensure that any driver(s) using the Vehicle(s) during the Rental Period are approved by us and hold a valid full current licence for the type and use of Vehicle and are duly permitted and insured under the insurance policy provided with the Vehicle.
- treat the Vehicle with all due care and respect.
- ensure that the Vehicle will not be used:
- for re-hire.
- for the carriage of passengers for hire or reward.
- for any illegal purpose or in contravention of any legislation affecting you, the Driver, the Vehicle, or its use.
- by any person under the influence of alcohol, hallucinatory drugs, narcotics, barbiturates, other illegal drugs, or any other substance (whether legal or illegal) that is either unlawful to use or drive under the influence, or which otherwise is liable to impair that person’s driving ability.
- to carry more passengers than is recommended by the Vehicle’s manufacturer.
- for off road use, on gravel roads or roads that are unfit for motor vehicles or where the surface or condition of it involves risks for the tyres or for the underside of the Vehicle or for the Vehicle itself, such as beaches, forest paths, mountains, etc.
- to carry flammable and/or dangerous or hazardous substances, toxic, harmful and/or radioactive products or those that infringe applicable local laws and regulations, or to transport goods with a weight, quantity and/or volume in excess of what is recommended by the Vehicle’s manufacturer and all other applicable laws and regulations (all liquids must be carried in secure containers)
- ensure that any goods transported in or on the Vehicle are secured to the extent they will not cause damage to the Vehicle or cause risk to any passengers or to any third party or to any third-party property.
- not, without our prior written approval, apply any livery, branding, transfers or marks or paintwork to the Vehicle.
- not fit any roof or bike rack or any tow bar nor allow anyone else to do so. If these are already fitted Hirer must not (nor allow anyone to) modify them.
- not fit winter tyres (nor allow anyone to do so) or make any other modifications to the Vehicle without our prior written consent. You will be responsible (even if we give consent) for any damage caused by the fitting of winter tyres, chains, or subsequent exchange to normal tyres or for any other modification.
- not smoke in the Vehicle nor allow anybody else to do so. If we reasonably believe that smoking has occurred in the Vehicle leading to a requirement to clean the Vehicle, you must pay our cleaning fees, which will be applied to your credit or debit card or which we will otherwise require you to make payment.
- take the Vehicle outside mainland England, Wales, or Scotland without our prior written consent and, where applicable, obtain a valid Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103).
Where the above requirements apply and you fail to fulfil any or all of the requirements then, it may cause the insurance to be invalidated and you will be responsible for and will pay to us all reasonable costs of any detrimental consequences, and loss, damage or liability that may arise as a result. We also reserve the right to demand immediate return of the Vehicle where the insurance is compromised or invalidated.
You agree to pay on demand:
- the Charges.
- where required as a result of your failure to maintain the Vehicle in a clean condition or resulting from a breach of your obligations, a minimum charge of £100 for internal cleaning and/or a minimum of £50 for valet of the exterior if the Vehicle is returned in an excessively dirty condition.
- a charge for abortive delivery and/or collections based on the distance travelled and/or waiting time involved.
- charges at the rates referred to in this Agreement or from time to time in force.
- the full cost of uninsured damage to, or loss of the Vehicle, keys or accessories.
- any amount in respect of which you are required to indemnify us pursuant to the terms of this Agreement.
- your cancellation of a hire arrangement after our written confirmation of an order has been received.
- early termination fees and related costs if Vehicles are returned prior to the agreed rental period (including if declared a total loss or stolen and not recovered prior to the end of the agreed rental period)
- any variation to the hire as a direct result of government uplifts to the VAT or Vehicle Excise Duty.
- any costs incurred by the removal and disposal of any goods left in Vehicles.
- any recovery charges arising from the Vehicle be immobilised due to driver error.
- We may require a Deposit. This will have been set out on our booking confirmation form or where you have booked through our website, during the booking process, or where you attend at our premises for collection of the Vehicle and will also be confirmed on the Rental Agreement. The deposit is intended to cover any additional charges that may arise during your use of the Vehicle over the Rental Period. This security is in the form of a financial deposit or reservation on your credit or debit card and the amount for this will have been specified in your confirmation email.
- You will not be entitled to withhold or set off any amount due under this Agreement.
9. Reporting incidents
- You will:
- inform us immediately of any loss of or damage to or fault developing in the Vehicle.
- at our request and our cost, permit to be done (if necessary, in your name) including, but without limitation:
- all acts and things as may be reasonably required by us for the purpose of repairing or making safe the Vehicle.
- assist us in enforcing any rights or remedies against or obtaining relief from other parties.
- indemnify us against any loss or damage:
- incurred by reason of any breach of this Agreement by you.
- which is not covered by insurance on the Vehicle.
- arising from the loss of or damage to any property left stored or transported in or upon the Vehicle.
- inform us as a result of operating the Vehicle illegally and VOSA impounding the Vehicle due to you not following correct Operators Licence rules and regulations.
- You will:
- immediately report any accident to us and deliver every document of any kind received by you relating to any claim connected with an accident or event involving the Vehicle; and
- not aid or abet any claim against us but will assist us in investigating and defending any claim.
- You acknowledge that you will not:
- without our prior written consent incur any liability for repairs to the Vehicle in excess of £25.
- make any claim against us for loss of or damage to any property left stored or transported in or upon the Vehicle unless caused by our negligence
- sell, lend, mortgage, charge, dispose of or part with possession of the Vehicle or any accessories.
10. Criminal liability and other offences
- You will be liable in respect of any offences which may be committed in connection with the Vehicle during the Rental Period including but not limited to:
- a breach of any parking restrictions;
- a breach of any loading conditions;
- a road traffic offence;
- bus lane infringement, tunnel lane infringement;
- any penalty or congestion charge;
- costs from the Vehicle being clamped, seized or towed away and any other charges/costs (or failure to pay them) levied by a relevant organisation or issuing authority; or
- when it is stationary and when a fixed penalty notice is issued namely: waiting or being left or parked, or being loaded or unloaded, in a road; and the non-payment of the charge made at a street parking place.
- You accept liability for and agree to indemnify us against any claims which may be made against us pursuant to condition 10.1.1 to 10.1.7 (including our administration fee).
- You will remain primarily liable for such charges, and you consent to us notifying such authorities, organisations and enforcement bodies of your details, and where available, any driver details, to effect a transfer of liability. You hereby irrevocably authorise us to provide such information.
- We will be entitled to charge you for our administration fee which covers our reasonable costs incurred in administering the correspondence associated with each fine, charge or penalty that is issued for the Vehicle during the Rental Period.
- Where we receive a penalty charge notice that is issued for the Vehicle during the Rental Period and which is capable of being paid then we may pay the amount due, and you authorise us to pay such penalty so that we mitigate the cost. You, where we choose to pay such charges, will reimburse us for the said charge and authorise us to deduct the same from your credit/debit card, plus our administration fee (for each charge and each related correspondence).
- We will inform you by letter or e-mail that we have paid the penalty and will charge you accordingly.
- The Vehicle will remain on hire to you until the off-hire procedure has been completed and the Vehicle will be deemed to be off hire for insurance purposes when it is delivered into the our possession:
- during normal business hours, and
- the keys of the Vehicle have been handed to a duly authorised representative of us; and
- the hire note has been signed as off hire by us.
- The Vehicle will remain at your risk until it has been off hired and where you have arranged insurance yourself, you should ensure that the insurance remains in force as you will continue to be liable for any loss or damage which occurs.
11. Vehicle Inspections – collection
- When the Rental Period commences, you will be asked to sign a section on the Rental Agreement that describes the Vehicle’s condition at that particular time. It is your responsibility to fully inspect the Vehicle and any accessories for any pre-existing damage and to identify such damage on the report.
- Where it isn’t possible to check pre-existing damage to the Vehicle and any accessories at the time of Vehicle pick-up, you must notify any such damage in writing within 24 hours of the start of the Rental Period.
- If you do not notify us of any pre-existing defect or damage which is identifiable on inspection, then you will be deemed to have accepted the Vehicle and any accessories in the condition set out on the Rental Agreement and will be charged for any new damage that is discovered when the Vehicle and any accessories are inspected by both parties on return of the Vehicle (or earlier where the Vehicle is returned for inspection, servicing or repairs).
12. Vehicle Inspections – return
- Upon the return of the Vehicle you should inspect the Vehicle together with our agent and countersign the check-in document which includes a record of any new damage (from that described onthe Agreement at the time of pick up). Each party will retain a copy of the return inspection report.
- If, during the inspection, new damage to the Vehicle is discovered (from that described on the Rental Agreement at the time of pick up) we will arrange for repair and replacement of part and accessories as necessary and charge you for:
- cost of repairs and replacement parts which are uneconomical to repair;
- costs of cleaning where the vehicle is not in a clean and tidy condition;
- replacement cost of any accessories which have been lost, stolen or are uneconomical to repair; and
- a damage administration fee.
- In the event of the Vehicle being returned or collected in a damaged condition, the rental charge will continue until such time as the Vehicle is repaired and returned to a hireable state. Should the Vehicle be deemed to be beyond economical repair, or stolen and not recovered, the hire charge will continue until settlement in full is received.
- You are responsible for:
- returning the Vehicle in a clean and tidy condition;
- any damage caused to tyres and tubes (fair wear and tear excepted)
- for breakages (including cracks and chips) to windows, shutters, and access door.
- all damage.
- You are responsible where supplied for all spare wheels, tyres, batteries, battery chargers, fuel cans, kitchen utensils, mobile phone and any loss or damage will be charged for.
- You are responsible for keeping secure all sets of keys, lost or stolen keys may result in the vehicle locks being replaced and all associated costs will be your responsibility.
- You will have exclusive possession, use and control of the Vehicle for the duration of the Agreement and you will assume exclusive responsibility to the public and any regulatory body having jurisdiction.
13. Other limits
- If fire extinguishers or first aid kits are provided as part of the vehicle specification they are on an initial supply basis only and any time based inspections required or replacements are your responsibility and you will replace such items on a like for like basis.
- You are responsible for operating vehicles legally and following Environmental laws including waste disposal and where applicable, will hold the necessary waste transfer licences that may be required
- We may demand the return of the Vehicle at any time and if in our reasonable opinion, such demand might not be complied with. We may repossess the Vehicle and terminate this Hire Agreement without any liability for any loss or damage which you may sustain as a result of such demand and termination or repossession. We will be entitled to a lien over any goods or possessions on the Vehicle at the time of repossession or termination of the Agreement and may deal or otherwise dispose of such items to cover any outstanding charges, costs or liabilities.
- We will be entitled to terminate this Agreement on written notice to you where you are in breach of any term of this Agreement.
- This Agreement and the hiring hereunder will terminate immediately if a petition to wind you up or to appoint an Administrator (if you are a business) is presented to a court or if you pass a resolution for voluntary liquidation (except for the purposes of amalgamation or reconstruction) or if a Receiver or Receiver and Manager is appointed with respect to any of the assets of yours or a petition for bankruptcy is made and upon such termination as aforesaid you will immediately return the Vehicle to us or our duly authorised agent for the return of the Vehicle at such place as we may have appointed.
- Termination of this Agreement will not affect the accrued rights or liabilities of a party.
- Notwithstanding the termination or expiry of this Agreement, we will be entitled to enforce those terms and conditions which would reasonably be implied to continue beyond termination to enable us to enforce our rights under this Agreement.
15. Our Liability to you
- We will be liable to you for direct loss only as set out in these terms.
- It is agreed and acknowledged by you that we will not be liable for any indirect or consequential loss whatsoever, howsoever arising that you may suffer or incur, including loss of profit or loss of use.
- Nothing in these terms and conditions will be deemed to exclude or restrict our liability for death or personal injury resulting from negligence or other liability of us, our servants or agents which cannot be excluded as a matter of law, for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- Our Liability to you for loss or damage, whether arising in contract tort of negligence or otherwise will be limited to the value of the Vehicle Hire plus fifteen percent.
- We will not be responsible for damage to any Vehicle, equipment or surface of property during the unloading or loading of the Vehicle/s upon delivery or collection.